10 Things you Need to Know about the Argentinian In-Building Wireless Market
In light of our recent in-building seminar in Buenos Aires, Argentina, we thought we’d share some of the market intelligence we gathered in the region. Enjoy!
- Argentina is one of the most dynamic mobile markets and the third largest in Latin America, after Brazil and Mexico.
- Mobile penetration looks set to reach approximately 147% by the end of 2013, with the number of subscribers increasing by 3% annually.
- Many Argentineans own multiple SIM cards, some having different phones for work and personal calls, some having a phone for each mobile company to take advantage of special offers, and some requiring an additional SIM card for mobile broadband.
- Argentina’s smartphone penetration is well above the estimated world average; at the end of 2012, about 24% of Argentineans owned a smartphone, compared with an estimated 15% world penetration. In 2013, Argentina’s smartphone market is expected to outperform all other markets in the region.
- Three mobile companies compete neck-and-neck, each one controlling about one third of the country’s mobile market: América Móvil’s Claro is the market leader, followed by Telecom Personal (the mobile unit of Telecom Argentina, controlled by Telecom Italia) and Telefónica’s Movistar. Nextel has but a small 3% market share, and Fecosur, an association of fixed-line telecom cooperatives, offers Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) services branded as Nuestro.
- Mexican finance group Fintech recently agreed to acquire a stake in Telecom Argentina SA from Telecom Italia in a $960 million deal to benefit from increasing Web and video use on mobile devices.
- LTE is not operative yet but deployments will start in 2014 in order to cope with the huge data demand. No mobile operator wants to be left behind.
- There is a strong lack of in-building infrastructure to offload the mobile outdoor network and satisfy current and future data demand.
- The iBwave Product Suite is already the standard design tool in the country: all DAS networks at stadiums, shopping malls, and office buildings were designed and optimized by using iBwave products.
- Wi-Fi Design Strategies in a Converged World Webinar Questions Part 4: Industry Related Questions - December 4, 2017
- Wi-Fi Design Strategies in a Converged World Webinar Questions Part 3: iBwave Products - October 5, 2017
- Wi-Fi Design Strategies in a Converged World Webinar: Your Questions Answered. - August 9, 2017